Saturday, February 6, 2010

In Memory of my Grandfather

I haven't been doing much in the way of photography as of late, and that's not good. Unfortunately for myself, the winter months seem to be my biggest downfall in my passion, because year after year I notice that I tend to be behind the lens less when there is snow on the ground and no leaves on the trees.

This year was a bit different however. Lately I have had a string of bad luck, between the economy, car troubles, and health issues.

All of that is just water under the bridge though to this past week.

Monday, February the 1st, I lost my beloved grandfather to Progressive Supranuclear Palsey. It's been ten years in the making, and it was time for him to go, but it hurt nonetheless. Sad to say, but it was the spark for my first photo of 2010, which is in memorial to a man who gave his community a great service of more than 30 years spent in his local fire department.

I suppose the photograph that I created is probably a way for me to grieve, as well. Someday I will probably have it printed and framed, but that will depend on if I have the proper place to hang it. I am not sure if it's something my widowed grandmother would wish to hang in her home or not. But I feel that it's too soon to ask.

While the hat in this photo did not belong to my grandfather (it is my father's), it is nonetheless symbolic of who he was in life. The rose came from a bouquet that was sent to the family.

I cannot express in words what all these things mean to my family, but I hope that the photo conveys some of what we all feel towards my late grandfather.

And of course, if you'd like to see a larger version, please visit my website. You'll find it under the Fine Art gallery. http://www.photo-phantasy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment